Sunday, 4 August 2013

Gushing Water, Fred Flinstone, and the Promised Land


            First and foremost, Happy Belated Birthday Ching! Thank you everyone for the lovely birthday wishes! It was a lot of fun. I think I’ll save that post for a later date. I have a few other things to share.

            Perhaps you’re wondering about the title of this post. “Gushing water” relates to a little adventure Sareeta and I had last Sunday evening. We rode our bikes home after dinner with Kerin and Emily and were all ready for bed. We opted to forego a stroll through the night market because it was getting late. As we approached our door we heard a strange sound coming from our apartment. We thought nothing of it, opened the door, and Sareeta joked that it “sounded like gushing water.” Unbeknownst to us, there was indeed gushing water coming from the bottom of the sink. We returned to our apartment and half of it was flooded. My bedroom and the kitchen were covered in an inch of water. Fear not! The crisis was averted thanks to “A”, a bucket, and a dustpan. Mr. A spent the next hour shoveling water into a bucket. There was still a bit of water on my floor when I went to bed, but the trusty Vientiane heat handled that issue quite nicely.


            Fred Flinstone is what I’m calling my bicycling adventure a few nights ago. Sareeta and I were bicycling home after dinner at Lao Kitchen and took Patuxai Arch road. I’m not entirely sure of the real name, but it’s similar to the Champs-Elysees in Paris. The Arch is Vientiane’s very own L’Arc de Triomphe. I digress. Anyway, we were pedaling along quite nicely and approaching the middle of an intersection when my left pedal decided it no longer felt like being attached to my bike. My pedal fell off in the middle of the intersection. Thankfully, there were no cars around or that could have gotten reallll interesting. Determined to not walk the rest of the way home (we were still pretty far away) I opted for the Fred Flinstone method. I was sitting on my bike and using my feet to propel myself forward. Unfortunately, that was terribly ineffective. I was eventually able to develop a nice little technique that wasn’t much slower than normal bicycling. Lesson #4: It’s possible to ride a bicycle with only one pedal!  


            The third and final part of my blog title refers to our little trip to Thailand. Since arriving in Vientiane, whenever I ask where to find something the answer is always Thailand. Need a motorbike helmet? Go to Thailand. Full rain suit? Thailand. Markers? Thailand. Dress shirts? Thailand. Cool(er) fabric? Thailand. And the list goes on. Needless to say, Kerin, Sareeta, and I were pretttty pumped to head to the Promised Land. We didn’t end up doing any shopping, but we needed to “leave the country” in order to update our visa. Within one hour, I filled out four immigration forms: leaving Laos, entering Thailand, leaving Thailand, and entering Laos. I felt like a stamp collector! I’m finally not technically only allowed to tour because I have a nice little work visa in my passport! The highlight of our morning was the Thai party bus! Twas prettttyyy sweet. 


            Hope y’all enjoyed the update. I’ve finally started taking pictures so I’ll post more shots of the city in my next post. I’m off to meet “Poo” for my first language lesson!

Peace and Blessings,

KB 

No comments:

Post a Comment